This project is part of ongoing efforts expended by every Canadian biosphere reserve to contribute to the goal of protecting 30% of their territories by 2030.
- Identify potential areas for designation as “protected areas” or “other effective area-based conservation measures” (OECMs)
- Identify the best conditions for the designation of new OECMs or protected areas
- Build local capacity for conservation, monitoring and surveillance
- Defining theoretical (legal) and analytical (ecological and cultural) frameworks
- Collecting and analyzing data related to local ecological and cultural values and land use
- Developing a roadmap to recognize potential OECMs or designate new protected areas
- Canadian Biosphere Reserves Association
- Local stakeholders involved in land use planning and conservation
- Activities planned until 2024
Financial support for this project is provided by Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC).